Friday, March 6, 2009

Watchmen in review

I know no one reads this because I've done nothing to promote it, but there are spoilers, okay?

I bet that it would have only been two hours long if there wasn't so much slow motion. That was an overload, and I say this as someone who owns all of Wes Anderson's movies.

Yeah, I love me some Nite Owl II. All of the shots of Archimedes looked so heroic and amazing. Patrick Wilson was perfect. I wasn't really digging all of the Dan/Laurie stuff, but I wasn't really fond of it in the comic, either. Dreiberg's awkwardness was totally endearing, though. It was way too cute when he was fixing his hair and such.

They should sell posters of those Andy Warhol prints, I would totally buy one or five. Damn, Ozyfabulous knew how to party. Despite not being canon, I thought all of that stuff was a nice touch.

That was the funniest sex scene I've seen since American Psycho. You'd think that Fat Dan getting his mojo back would be taken more seriously, considering how important it is to the character's growth. It's an important scene, but good grief, the music choice made it impossible to take it seriously. I don't think I can listen to Hallelujah again without laughing.

I don't think that there was enough emotional attachment to the characters. When I read the comic, I was legitimately sad when Rorschach died, but in the film it was just more like "oh...okay then." It was more tragic that Nite Owl II was watching, though, considering that he's probably the only person that Rorschach had ever genuinely cared about. That made it simultaneously more and less powerful than it was in the graphic novel.

So glad I got gore spoilers from people who had seen preview screenings, eesh. Most of that stuff wasn't even in the book, it was totally gratuitous. I preferred that the blood was limited in the book, because then it really stood out when something violent did happen. It was sufficiently cringeworthy that Rorschach just set the killer on fire rather than going full-on Patrick Bateman.

LOL NIXON'S NOSE.

I guess "Possibly homosexual" is "Definitely homosexual," according to Ozymandias' spank bank. There are so many nods to little things in the graphic novel that people who have read it will appreciate, like the people at the newspaper stand and the Gunga Diner elephants, but it's just not going to make sense to the viewers who aren't familiar with the comic. I definitely missed the Bernards and Joey, they added a more human, intimate feeling to the story.

I also think it was made too obvious that Veidt was the mastermind. He was definitely established as someone who could clearly have alterior motives. I know everyone's complaining that Matthew Goode's too thin to pull it off, but I think he worked well enough. I just didn't really think about it too much. I just accepted it without contemplating whether or not he could have thrown a 225lb person through a window, although I did notice that it was pointed out that he had the advantage of speed. I did notice the lack of Ozymandias workout videos, though.

Overall, I loved how faithful it was to the comic. I think it was a little too stylised, but apparently that's just the way Zack Snyder works. (I haven't seen 300.) The attention to detail was amazing, and it's obvious that Snyder cared a lot about the source material. I did go in with high expectations and I'm still not sure whether or not they were met, but I definitely enjoyed it.

No comments:

Post a Comment