Saturday, April 4, 2009

Live: The Whigs at Exit/In 3 April 09

Tonight was my third time seeing the Whigs. They are, without a doubt, an incredibly solid band. Their bass drum-heavy take on Southern rock is just as at ease in a huge arena as it is in a more intimate setting. The Athens, Georgia trio aren't much for swagger or style like previous tourmates Kings of Leon, but they know how to leave a crowd satisfied with tightly-crafted tunes and a high energy performance. I've always been impressed with their live sound, not a letdown at all in comparison to the way they sound on record.

They played some new songs tonight, and their third album and follow-up to the breakout "Mission Control" looks to be very promising indeed. Still, there's always something magical about the 2008 single "Right Hand On My Heart."


Right Hand On My Heart - The Whigs

Setlist:
More Than Before
Hot Bed
Hundred/Million
I Don't Even Care About
Like A Vibration
Production City (short)
O.K., Alright
I Am For Real
Nothing Is Easy
Alabama Stars
Half The World Away
Mission Control
Technology
Right Hand On My Heart
Already Young
--------
Violet Furs
Need You Need You

No comments:

Post a Comment