Thursday, February 19, 2009

Brit awards results



Bolded are the winners, underlined are my picks.

British Album:
Coldplay - Viva La Vida Or Death And All His Friends
Duffy - Rockferry
Elbow - The Seldom Seen Kid
Radiohead - In Rainbows
The Ting Tings - We Started Nothing
While I try to not rate everything from a scale of 1 to Radiohead, In Rainbows is just so wonderful.

British Group:
Coldplay
Elbow
Girls Aloud
Radiohead
Take That

British Single:
Adele - Chasing Pavements
Alexandra Burke - Hallelujah
Coldplay - Viva La Vida
Dizzee Rascal featuring Calvin Harris and Chrome - Dance Wiv Me
Duffy - Mercy
Estelle ft Kanye West - American Boy

Girls Aloud - The Promise
Leona Lewis - Better in Time
Scouting for Girls - Heartbeat
The X Factor Finalists - Hero
I genuinely do like Mercy, and American Boy really grew on me after hearing it so often during the summer.

British Male Solo Artist:
Ian Brown
James Morrison
Paul Weller
The Streets
Will Young

British Female Solo Artist:
Adele
Beth Rowley
Duffy
Estelle
M.I.A.
Seriously, M.I.A. is too fierce for words.

British Breakthrough Act:
Adele
Duffy
The Last Shadow Puppets
Scouting For Girls
The Ting Tings
Oh, Alex Turner, you've grown up so much.

British Live Act:
Coldplay
Iron Maiden
Scouting For Girls
The Verve
Elbow

International Album:
AC / DC - Black Ice
Fleet Foxes - Fleet Foxes
The Killers - Day & Age
Kings of Leon - Only By The Night
MGMT - Oracular Spectacular
Day & Age was such a letdown. Meanwhile, there's not a song I don't love on Oracular Spectacular.

International Group:
AC / DC
Fleet Foxes
The Killers
Kings of Leon
MGMT
I kind of feel like the Killers and Kings of Leon have already gotten their dues in the UK, but I don't know what their records are like award-wise, at least not with Kings of Leon. But no seriously, I think I might have thought that Kings of Leon were British at one point because all I saw was people from the UK raving about them.

International Male Solo Artist:
Beck
Neil Diamond
Jay-Z
Kanye West
Seasick Steve

International Female Solo Artist:
Beyonce
Gabriella Cilmi
Katy Perry
Pink
Santogold
I don't know much about Gabriella Cilmi except that she was rather irritating on Buzzcocks.

Critics' Choice Award winner:
Florence & The Machine

Producer of the Year:
Bernard Butler

Apparently along with Katy Perry puking backstage, Jared Followill's ladyfriend got into a fight after spotting her boyfrand flirting with someone else. I'm not sure why you would try to pursue a serious relationship with a member of Kings of Leon--I think I knew that all of them were banging a different groupie every night before I actually heard any of their music. In other news, Matthew Followill has announced that KOL's next album will be "a little grungier," which can only be a good thing.

Photo by riotonsunset.

No comments:

Post a Comment