Monday, August 17, 2009

Dear Uncle Rusty

I finally got around to seeing Torchwood: Children Of Earth, due to having limited internet up until recently. There isn't really anything I can say about it that's not beating a dead coffee boy, but it did reinforce why I typically don't watch Torchwood. While I was significantly more impressed with Children Of Earth than I have been with the few stray episodes I've seen before, it's just a fact that I like the Doctor Who side of Captain Jack Harkness too much to have him ruined for me. Who!Jack is a fun, flirty man of action. More importantly, Who!Jack's ideas are generally better than just waving around a bunch of guns and making impulsive decisions. Children Of Earth also did Jack a great disservice by seriously dehumanizing him. The fifth episode could have done with less dramatic running montages and more reaction shots. Hey Jack, a bunch of people just died because of your paper-thin marauding, including your boyfriend, and you just had your grandson nosebleed to death. It's time to go for an angsty walk in the rain. Preferably with a lot of flashbacks to Jack and Ianto's makeout sessions.

What I really want to know is how this is going to tie into Jack's return to Doctor Who. We know that the Doctor has a tremendous amount of influence on Captain Jack, but what sort of state will he be in by the time they reunite?

No comments:

Post a Comment