Sunday, January 25, 2009

The International Tweexcore Underground

I just got in from seeing Titus Andronicus and Los Campesinos! at Exit/In. Have a few of my poorly-organised thoughts.

I'd never heard anything by Titus Andronicus before, but I quite enjoyed their set. I'm absolutely horrible at comparing bands, so at first I thought they sounded vaguely like a more upbeat version of the Whigs. By the end, I realised that I am even worse at comparing bands than I previously thought I was. I'll have to check out some of their properly recorded stuff, I really enjoyed them, they had great energy.

Los Campesinos! were down a member, as one of the girls was ill. Still, they put on a solid show and were every bit as adorable as I expected them to be. Frontman Gareth has a stage presence that is vaguely reminiscent of a mixture of Martin Freeman and a nervous schoolboy, often adding illustrative hand gestures or singing with his hands clasped behind his back. I wasn't as familiar with their new album (We Are Beautiful, We Are Doomed) as I wanted to be before the show, but oh well. They started off with "All Your Keyfabe Friends" and it sounded great.

The female vocals seemed kind of weak, but that could have been a sound problem, and they were missing a member. Considering the large quantity of instruments involved, everything was pulled off beautifully. Highlights: "You! Me! Dancing!"; "Sweet Dreams, Sweet Cheeks"; and "Drop It Doe Eyes." I wish they'd played "It Started With A Mixx," but oh well.

I wonder how old the drummer is, he looked quite young. At the encore, he came out with toilet paper wrapped around his head and draped in a Welsh flag that someone had thrown onstage earlier, which was quite amusing. There was also a part during "Sweet Dreams, Sweet Cheeks" where Gareth jumped off of the stage, crossed the floor, and stood on one of the tables in the back.

Afterwards, I had the pleasure of having a wee conversation at the merch stand with Gareth about Torchwood/Doctor Who and how Skins is an inaccurate representation of teenage life. What a sweetheart. ♥

No comments:

Post a Comment