Thursday, January 8, 2009

Little Obsessions: Jason Schwartzman


Microphone - Coconut Records

Despite the fact that I've only seen Rushmore, The Darjeeling Limited, Marie Antoinette, and half of Shopgirl, I'm a little obsessed with Jason Schwartzman. I could discuss how he and I would have really ridiculously short children, but I'll settle for talking about how talented he is. Of course he's talented, he's a Coppola who isn't Nicolas Cage's creepy goth son! I'd love him even if all I knew of his work was the Coconut Records album Nighttiming, considering that he did almost all of it by himself. I am in awe of people who can proficiently play multiple instruments, and Jason Schwartzman is no exception. I love every song on Nighttiming, and I am so excited to hear his second Coconut Records album, Davy, which is released later this month. I've posted the first single above.

Then there's Rushmore. Rushmore is my favorite Wes Anderson film and in my top five movies overall. It's got all of the Anderson trademarks, but is not as opulent as The Royal Tenenbaums or The Darjeeling Limited. I adore Wes Anderson, but it's really Jason Schwartzman's performance that is the centerpiece of Rushmore. Max Fischer is funny, tortured, quirky, and undeniably charismatic, even in his somewhat absurd battle against Herman Blume.

Also, the fact that he co-wrote The Darjeeling Limited with Wes Anderson and Roman Coppola displays versatility, which can only be a good thing. "I love you, but I'm gonna mace you in the face."

No comments:

Post a Comment