Wednesday, January 14, 2009

The making of Tonight: Franz Ferdinand



I love that they've returned to the more raw production style of their first album, which I always thought was really refreshing. It was almost disappointing to have everything cleaned up on You Could Have It So Much Better, compared to the way they recorded all of the instruments together on the self-titled album. The Survey of Recording Technology class that I took when I was still a music business major gave me a rudimentary understanding of how much the recording space contributes to the sound, and it's obvious that this was recorded in an environment with many stories behind it rather than some studio. (That isn't to say that buildings specifically planned to be studios can't be fascinating, I've toured RCA Studio B and there's certainly a great history to it.) It's somewhat strange that a dance album with significantly more electronic elements than their previous work would be so organic-sounding, but it works for them.

No comments:

Post a Comment